What is a home page?
A home page is the first page people see when they type your domain name into a web browser. It is the best page to introduce visitors to your business. One of the first things you should do is add an artistic picture that represents your business. By looking at these two pictures, it is easy to imagine what each of their websites would be about.
A few seconds after landing on your home page, people should know a lot about your business and the products or services you offer. When designing your page, put a lot of thought into how people read a webpage.
To illustrate the above information, go to the image to the right or to the home page of this website. Note the picture of the businessman planning his web page. Within seconds the visitor knows what the website is all about. Also note how the column of text to the left of the picture is narrower than the rest of the page. The visitor will read every word.
Doomed to failure
Pardon me for being so blunt. I just want you to fully absorb the above information including the link about the letter F. You must not waste a visitor’s time. You must provide useful information. Otherwise, you are doomed to failure.
You want your home page to
- Let people know your company’s area of expertise.
- Have links describing your company’s products or services.
- Have links that let visitors know how your company is different from the competition.
- Make visitors want to participate.
- Change from time to time to reflect changes in your company (new products, etc.)
- Appeal to the visitors’ wants and needs as opposed your business’s wants and needs.
Hover over New at the top of a page or post and click Page.
Before you start typing any words, you have to think about SEO (search engine optimization). When you have search engine optimized your page, you have maximized the probability that someone will find your web page in a search. The ideal spot would be the very top entry in Google’s page 1.
To SEO your website, you should install the Yoast SEO plugin in your website. Then, in editing view, you scroll down to below the page you are creating.
Among other things, you will see a line that says SEO analysis. Where it says Focus keyphrase, enter one or two words that best describe your page. In the case of this page, the focus key phrase is home page.
That means that ideally the title of the page will begin with Home Page. Home page will be be in a subheading and also in the first paragraph of the page. All of the bullets in the list above will ideally end up being green.
Set page as the home page
You can set any page as you home page in three steps:
- In the dashboard, choose Appearance > Customize.
- Click Homepage Settings.
- Click the Static Page radio button.
- Click the dropdown icon beneath the Homepage title.
- Click the blue Publish button at the top.
- Click the X to the left of Publish in order to close that panel.